Should I run more or lift more during the rugby off-season?

As a rugby player, the majority of your off-season training should be directed toward strength development. After your season, the first priority is to rehabilitate any injuries you may have sustained during the season. From there, you can progress into a resistance training program that is customized to improve your cardiovascular capacity, muscle size, strength, and power. As the season begins to near, transition into more sports-specific exercise, movement, and drills.

Continue Learning about Rugby

I have rugby practice six times per week, what should I do on my off day?
Physically and mentally take advantage of your day off.  Your body needs this time to recharge a...
My plant leg slips during rugby lateral moves; what should I do?
First, be sure to check your cleats. Make sure you have a good pair of cleats that are not compl...
How can I best stretch my hip flexors for rugby?
Having tight hip flexors can cause many complications if not properly addressed. One good stretc...
How much should I train during the rugby pre-season?
When you enter the rugby pre-season, your training focus will change. Practice is typically very int...