How is a rugby player's lower-body power tested?

One quick and simple exercise you can do to test a rugby player's lower-body power is the vertical jump. There are many different tools that can be used to assist in measuring this accurately, but the easiest items to use are a dark wall, tape measure, and a piece of chalk. Have your athlete stand next to the wall, chalk in hand. Then, fully flex the shoulder, extend the elbow and make an initial mark. Have the athlete jump as high as possible without taking any steps, marking the wall at the top of the jump, and then measure the distance between the two marks. This measurement is the vertical jump measured in inches.

Continue Learning about Rugby

What is a good speed test for rugby athletes?
One good linear speed test for rugby is the 40-yard dash. To perform this assessment, have a player ...
Are there any good ways to loosen up my calves for rugby?
Foam roll and stretch to help loosen up your calves and help them recover in between rugby pract...
I have rugby practice six times per week, what should I do on my off day?
Physically and mentally take advantage of your day off.  Your body needs this time to recharge a...
When do I start a conditioning program to prepare for rugby season?
Depending on where you live, rugby is either a spring or a fall sport. You should start a streng...