Should rugby athletes lift weights during the season?

When any sport is in-season it is important for the participating athletes to have a performance training program in place that includes resistance training. The focus for any in-season program should be to spend the majority of the time on the field practicing with the team and doing sport-specific skill work. The additional resistance training program should fit into practice and game schedules. Try to incorporate 1-2 days per week in the weight room, only spending 45-60 minutes training. One day can be spent on stabilization while the other day can be strength focused. During the stabilization day, perform exercises with lower weight and higher repetitions in more unstable, yet controllable, environments. During the strength day, perform exercises with higher weight and lower repetitions in stable environments. The program should focus on maintaining the performance gains that were made prior to the season. Also, be sure to allow ample rest between weight training and game time.

Continue Learning about Rugby

How can I train if I have a shoulder injury and cannot play rugby?
First, be sure to check in with your medical staff if you are performing additional work outside of ...
How do I improve my endurance following an explosive speed burst in rugby?
Rugby is a sport filled with multiple speed bursts with sometimes little rest between them. It is im...
Is Olympic lifting too risky for rugby players?
When including Olympic lifts into a rugby performance program make sure there are coaches or other p...
Should I do any training the day before a rugby game?
You can, but make sure you don't overdo it. Keep the volume of your workout low, use light weigh...