How do I strengthen my ankles for rugby?

Strong and stable ankles aid in avoiding a severe sprain during the rugby season. One easy way to strengthen your ankles is by performing single-leg exercises. If you are working out and doing upper-body exercises, stand on one leg while you perform them. If your workout is focused on the lower body, modify some of your exercises so you are balancing on one foot. As you progress, try placing your supporting foot on an unstable surface such as a yoga mat, airex pad, or even a BOSU. 

Continue Learning about Rugby

Why is performance training important for rugby athletes?
Rugby is one of the fastest growing sports in the United States and many more athletes are getting i...
Should all rugby players train the same way for cardio?
When designing energy-system based intervals, look at the demands of each player.  By looking at...
How often should injury prevention be included in a rugby workout?
You should include some form of injury prevention and/or corrective exercise in every workout.  It i...
What are some exercises to strengthen my core as a rugby player?
As a rugby player, having a strong, properly functioning core is paramount. First, you must develop ...