How much should I train during the rugby pre-season?

When you enter the rugby pre-season, your training focus will change. Practice is typically very intense, and any additional training that is not planned should be avoided. By engaging in extra conditioning, you could push your body beyond its limits, leading to overtraining and possible injury. Anything you do outside of practice should be geared toward recovery. One great tool for this is using a foam roller and performing static stretching. Find any spot on your muscles that is tender and apply pressure with the foam roll until the tenderness lessens or disappears. Follow the foam rolling with a stretch of the same muscle. Hold each stretch for 30 seconds to allow your muscle time to relax and elongate.

Continue Learning about Rugby

Should off-season training be different if playing rugby and another sport?
Jara Soost , NASM Elite TrainerJara Soost , NASM Elite Trainer
Off season training is generally a moderate workout, working up to tough pre-season workouts.  When ...
How can I improve my acceleration for rugby?
As a rugby athlete, the ability to accelerate quickly can create scoring opportunities. A great ...
Should I do any training the day before a rugby game?
You can, but make sure you don't overdo it. Keep the volume of your workout low, use light weigh...
What is a good speed test for rugby athletes?
One good linear speed test for rugby is the 40-yard dash. To perform this assessment, have a player ...