How do I improve my lateral quickness for rugby?

Using a speed ladder for various drills is a great way to improve lateral quickness for rugby. An exercise you can perform use the speed ladder is the side shuffles drill through the ladder. To perform this drill, standat the end of the ladder and step through the ladder rungs laterally as fast as can be controlled. Keep the feet and pelvis straight, and keep the arms moving in a rhythmic fashion. Start slowly to learn proper mechanics and control, then begin to speed up the movement. Perform 2-3 sets going back and forth through the ladder.

Continue Learning about Rugby

What is a good multi-directional agility drill for rugby athletes?
As a rugby player you have to be able to react and move quickly in all directions. A great drill...
Should rugby athletes lift weights during the season?
When any sport is in-season it is important for the participating athletes to have a performance...
How do I improve my endurance following an explosive speed burst in rugby?
Rugby is a sport filled with multiple speed bursts with sometimes little rest between them. It is im...
When should a rugby player begin an SAQ program in the off-season?
Speed, agility, and quickness (SAQ) training should be a part of an off-season program right fro...