How do I improve my endurance following an explosive speed burst in rugby?

Rugby is a sport filled with multiple speed bursts with sometimes little rest between them. It is important you mimic your conditioning and endurance training to game demands. Just running repetitive sprints or running around the track does have its merits, but for a rugby player it is important to add some agility endurance training as well. Add multiple agility drills in the form of a circuit. For example, perform a 40-yard shuttle with the turn-around set at 10 yards, and immediately after the shuttle complete a T-drill. Rest for 30 - 60 seconds, and repeat 8-10 times. Stay focused, and keep your intensity level high. If your form falters, focus and correct it without stopping the circuit. If you are still having problems maintaining your technique, take a longer rest period. Just going through the motions of a drill is a great way to develop bad habits, so make sure you perform each repetition properly and with purpose. 

Continue Learning about Rugby

What is the best way to test a rugby team's endurance?
Rugby is a game of speed endurance, so when assessing a team’s endurance, focus on testing speed end...
What type of conditioning should rugby athletes do to get in shape?
When conditioning for the sport of rugby, try to mimic the physical demands of a rugby game into you...
What are some exercises to strengthen my core as a rugby player?
As a rugby player, having a strong, properly functioning core is paramount. First, you must develop ...
When do I start a conditioning program to prepare for rugby season?
Depending on where you live, rugby is either a spring or a fall sport. You should start a streng...