How can I improve my acceleration for rugby?

As a rugby athlete, the ability to accelerate quickly can create scoring opportunities. A great plyometric exercise for developing your acceleration is the box depth jump to sprint. For this exercise, you need a step that is 24 – 36 inches in tall and a stretch of surface to run on. To perform this exercise, drop from the box and immediately sprint 5 – 10 yards. Repeat this two to three times. When sprinting, focus on accelerating as fast as you can, and using your arms to propel yourself forward.

Continue Learning about Rugby

Is strength or speed training more important for a rugby athlete?
When training for rugby, it is important to have a multi-faceted program that includes both strength...
Should rugby athletes lift weights during the season?
When any sport is in-season it is important for the participating athletes to have a performance...
Should I eat before rugby practice?
It is important to get food and nutrients into your body before practice.  You should eat a...
When should a rugby player begin an SAQ program in the off-season?
Speed, agility, and quickness (SAQ) training should be a part of an off-season program right fro...