How can I improve my acceleration for rugby?

As a rugby athlete, the ability to accelerate quickly can create scoring opportunities. A great plyometric exercise for developing your acceleration is the box depth jump to sprint. For this exercise, you need a step that is 24 – 36 inches in tall and a stretch of surface to run on. To perform this exercise, drop from the box and immediately sprint 5 – 10 yards. Repeat this two to three times. When sprinting, focus on accelerating as fast as you can, and using your arms to propel yourself forward.

Continue Learning about Rugby

What can I do in rugby training to help me recover faster between bursts?
To decrease your recovery time, you should add similar game demands into your conditioning training....
When should a rugby player begin an SAQ program in the off-season?
Speed, agility, and quickness (SAQ) training should be a part of an off-season program right fro...
How do I improve my lateral quickness for rugby?
Using a speed ladder for various drills is a great way to improve lateral quickness for rugby. A...
What is the best way to test a rugby team's endurance?
Rugby is a game of speed endurance, so when assessing a team’s endurance, focus on testing speed end...