How do I improve my ability to produce power quickly for rugby?

Generating power very quickly is extremely important for reactive sports like rugby. A great exercise to include in your training is a medicine ball overhead throw using a lighter medicine ball. Choose a weight you can quickly throw, yet is still challenging. To perform this exercise, start in a standing position holding the medicine ball with both hands. Initiate the movement by quickly lowering your hips almost as if you are squatting. After lowering down, explosively stand up, extending from your hips, knees, and ankles. Let the medicine ball move up your torso and release the ball to throw it up into the air. Most of the momentum you transfer to the ball should come from the hips. Your arms should simply guide the ball in the right direction, which in this case is over and behind your head. While doing this exercise, especially while lowering your hips, do not allow your back to round. Concentrate on keeping your core engaged throughout the movement. It helps to exhale forcefully as you are coming up to throw the ball. Inhale on the way down, and exhale on the way up. You should launch the medicine ball as fast and high as you can. 

Continue Learning about Rugby

Should I test general athleticism for the sport of rugby?
It is always great to test rugby athletes both in-season and off-season. Testing helps build confide...
How do I improve my endurance following an explosive speed burst in rugby?
Rugby is a sport filled with multiple speed bursts with sometimes little rest between them. It is im...
Should I eat before rugby practice?
It is important to get food and nutrients into your body before practice.  You should eat a...
How often should injury prevention be included in a rugby workout?
You should include some form of injury prevention and/or corrective exercise in every workout.  It i...