How do I make my first step more explosive for rugby?

A great plyometric exercise for developing the power of your first step is the box depth jump to sprint. For this exercise, you need a step that is 24 – 36 inches in tall and a stretch of surface to run on. To perform the exercise, drop from the box and immediately sprint 5 – 10 yards. Repeat this two to three times. When sprinting, focus on accelerating as fast as you can, and using your arms to propel yourself forward.

Continue Learning about Rugby

How do I improve my endurance following an explosive speed burst in rugby?
Rugby is a sport filled with multiple speed bursts with sometimes little rest between them. It is im...
What can I do in rugby training to help me recover faster between bursts?
To decrease your recovery time, you should add similar game demands into your conditioning training....
Is there a conditioning drill that mimics changes in speed during rugby?
A simple and effective drill that can help you improve your game speed and intensity is the on-off d...
What is a good hamstring stretch for rugby players?
A great hamstring stretch is the bicep femoris stretch. This stretches the outer part of your hamstr...