What is a good speed test for rugby athletes?

One good linear speed test for rugby is the 40-yard dash. To perform this assessment, have a player line up on the starting line and start the time from the player's first movement.  Stop the clock once the player runs through the finish line, 40 yards from the starting line.  If you have the capability, it is great to get a 10-yard split time as well.  Knowing how fast a player is over the first 10 yards of a sprint is advantageous because it gives insight to acceleration capability. The comparison of 10-yard to 40-yard time is a good indicator of where a player may struggle with sprinting. Linear speed is a valuable skill for rugby players.  The ability to get up and down the field quickly creates opportunities for any rugby player.

Continue Learning about Rugby

Should I complete sprints or long distance runs to get ready for rugby?
Rugby is a multi-directional sport that requires athletes to accelerate, decelerate, and change dire...
Should I eat before rugby practice?
It is important to get food and nutrients into your body before practice.  You should eat a...
What is a good hip stretch for rugby players?
The supine piriformis stretch is a good stretch for a rugby player’s hips. To perform this stret...
Should I run more or lift more during the rugby off-season?
As a rugby player, the majority of your off-season training should be directed toward strength d...