What is the best way to test a rugby team's endurance?

Rugby is a game of speed endurance, so when assessing a team’s endurance, focus on testing speed endurance with a component of change in direction rather than just testing aerobic endurance. Since the game itself is built on multiple changes of direction and bursts of speed, it will provide a more realistic view on the players’ sport-specific endurance. When assessing a rugby team's endurance you want to know which players can burst over and over again, accelerate, and decelerate out of cuts.  One easy test to conduct is the 300-yard shuttle run broken into 50-yard segments.  To perform this assessment, the athlete runs 50 yards back and forth (for a total of 6 times) until they have run a total of 300 yards. You can even run this test twice, giving an appropriate  amount of rest (3-5 minutes) between each run.  This will provide some insight on how well each player is recovering between extended bursts by comparing the first and second runs.  As with all assessments, to achieve optimal results, be sure to use the data you gather to make necessary changes to the team’s training.

Continue Learning about Rugby

How do I strengthen my ankles for rugby?
Strong and stable ankles aid in avoiding a severe sprain during the rugby season. One easy way t...
What is a good multi-directional agility drill for rugby athletes?
As a rugby player you have to be able to react and move quickly in all directions. A great drill...
Will lifting weights make me big and slow, hurting my speed for rugby?
It really depends on you program. Lifting weights, or resistance training, will help you build stren...
I have rugby practice six times per week, what should I do on my off day?
Physically and mentally take advantage of your day off.  Your body needs this time to recharge a...