What is the best cardio exercise for a rugby player?

The best cardio exercises for a rugby player are sprints and intervals on the field which will tax your anaerobic system.  Cardio equipment can also be very useful.  Due to the constant demands on the legs while playing rugby, the joints will need time to unload.  To continue to work on your cardiovascular system, use cardiovascular equipment to supplement some of your conditioning.  When using cardio equipment, look for equipment with low impact, like an elliptical or bike so that you can work the cardiovascular system without stressing the legs.  Cardio equipment may also be used to help tap into the high-intensity anaerobic systems. Due to the fact that you can control the workload (speed, incline, watts, level) you can do high-intensity intervals and use the workload to gauge improvement, much like using pounds during weight training.

Continue Learning about Rugby

When should a rugby player begin an SAQ program in the off-season?
Speed, agility, and quickness (SAQ) training should be a part of an off-season program right fro...
Should all rugby players train the same way for cardio?
When designing energy-system based intervals, look at the demands of each player.  By looking at...
How do I improve my lateral quickness for rugby?
Using a speed ladder for various drills is a great way to improve lateral quickness for rugby. A...
Should I complete sprints or long distance runs to get ready for rugby?
Rugby is a multi-directional sport that requires athletes to accelerate, decelerate, and change dire...