Who can benefit from rotator cuff surgery?

Rotator cuff surgery can benefit a young, healthy person who has a full thickness rotator cuff tear. If an MRI shows a full thickness tear that will not heal on its own in a young, healthy person, surgery is warranted.

But, there is a full spectrum of tearing outside of that. Whether it's a 50 percent tear, a 70 percent tear or a 20 percent tear, a doctor needs to examine the person and come up with an algorithm based on how to treat the person. Not every partial tear requires surgery, but some do, particularly, if they fail to respond to conservative measures for more than three months.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Rotator Cuff

Will I need to wear a sling after rotator cuff surgery?
Kristofer J. Jones, MDKristofer J. Jones, MD
Sling immobilization is required for a short period of time after surgery to ensure there is some ti...
What are rotator cuff tears?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
he shoulder consists of 3 bones, the scapula (shoulder blade), humerus (arm bone) and clavicle (coll...
What is a rotator cuff injury?
A rotator cuff injury is one of the most common shoulder injuries, and while it often strikes athlet...
How can I tell if I have tight internal rotator muscles?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
If you watch people who weight train frequently, you'll notice the palms of their hands face backwar...