Can a rotator cuff tear get bigger?

Kristofer J. Jones, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Studies suggest that rotator cuff tears can in fact get bigger over time. The tear can get bigger in two ways: a single traumatic event can enlarge the tear, or using your shoulder to do regular activities can gradually enlarge the tear over time. In cases where we choose to not operate and treat the tear with nonoperative measures (ie, therapy, NSAIDs, injections), surveillance and close follow-up is probably indicated. In younger people, I usually recommend an MRI every 12-18 months to monitor the tear. 

Continue Learning about Rotator Cuff

What is the drop arm test?
Kristofer J. Jones, MDKristofer J. Jones, MD
The drop arm test is also done to check the integrity of the rotator cuff. Your doctor will passivel...
What are the symptoms of a rotator cuff injury?
Dr. John A. Gracy, MDDr. John A. Gracy, MD
Rotator cuff injuries make the headlines when they affect young athletes, but they're actually much ...
Will I need to stay in hospital for a rotator cuff repair?
If you are a healthy person who doesn't have any heart problems, lung problems or general issues suc...
What problems can occur in conjunction with a rotator cuff tear?
If you have a rotator cuff problem, you may experience biceps tendinitis in addition to it. With rot...