Why is skin easily irritated with rosacea?

Skin with rosacea is easily irritated because the stratum corneum (the very top layer of skin that’s visible in a mirror) isn’t functioning as well as in normal skin. It is inflamed and may lack adequate moisture, which makes it more prone to damage by wind, sun, and harsh chemicals in skincare products. Minimize skin irritation if you have rosacea by using a chemical-free sunscreen, or a moisturizer or skin foundation with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or higher. Products that contain silicones (such as dimethicone or cyclomethicone) may help restore skin’s barrier function. Choose mild, fragrance-free cleansers and apply them gently without scrubbing. Keep a diary of rosacea flare-ups, noting any possible triggers, and try to avoid those triggers in the future.

Continue Learning about Rosacea

Should I speak to my doctor about my erythematotelangiectatic rosacea?
If you believe that you have erythematotelangiectatic rosacea, you should speak with your doctor...
Does indoor heat aggravate rosacea?
Indoor heat can aggravate rosacea and worsen symptoms. More than half of people with rosacea said ...
How Is Rosacea Related to Digestive Health?
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?