What specific rosacea treatments has the FDA approved?

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved several drugs specifically for treating rosacea. The drug metronidazole is a cream applied directly to the skin that helps lower inflammation and reduce the presence of acne-like bumps. Another FDA-approved drug that you use on your skin, azelaic acid, also reduces inflammation. Doctors usually prescribe these medicines for mild to moderate rosacea. One antibiotic medication, doxycycline, is approved by the FDA for treating rosacea; it comes as a pill. You doctor may also prescribe other antibiotic medications or additional drugs that are not specifically approved for rosacea but may help control the condition.

Continue Learning about Rosacea

How does rosacea affect the skin?
Rosacea is a skin condition that most often affects the face, with redness that appears on the cheek...
What is erythematotelangiectatic rosacea?
Erythematotelangiectatic rosacea is a skin condition that causes flushing, redness and, sometimes,...
How should I moisturize my skin if I have rosacea?
Patricia Farris, MDPatricia Farris, MD
Patients with rosacea should use light bland moisturizers that are fragrance free. Bland moisturizer...
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?