What should I know about drinking alcohol if I have rosacea?

You probably can consume alcohol in moderation if you have rosacea, but check with your doctor to be sure. Although alcohol won’t cause rosacea in people who don’t have it, it may trigger a flare-up in people who do have the condition. Alcohol acts as a vasodilator, which means it dilates blood vessels, including those in the face. This can lead to skin flushing, which may trigger a flare-up of symptoms. In a survey of people with rosacea, the National Rosacea Society found that almost two-thirds of people said just one alcoholic drink can worsen their symptoms, while others said it took several drinks to affect their rosacea. Drinking red wine, rather than other types of alcoholic beverages, seemed particularly likely to worsen rosacea symptoms.

Continue Learning about Rosacea

How can hair products affect rosacea symptoms?
Hair products may trigger rosacea symptoms such as red skin, flushing, lesions, tiny spider veins,...
Is rosacea the same as acne?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
Rosacea (ro-ZAY-she-ah) is a common skin problem often called "adult acne." Faired skinned and menop...
Which Sunscreen Is Best for People with Rosacea?
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?