What should I avoid if I have erythematotelangiectatic rosacea?

If you have erythematotelangiectatic rosacea, one of the best things you can do for your skin is to avoid unprotected exposure to the sun. Experts say that daily use of sunscreen is critical for people with rosacea.

The other guiding principle for living with rosacea is to avoid irritation to the skin. This means choosing gentle cleansers that are free of common rosacea irritants such as alcohol, fragrance, witch hazel, menthol, peppermint, eucalyptus oil, clove oil, and salicylic acid. It also means looking for products that are targeted specifically for sensitive skin or for people with rosacea. Experts also recommend avoiding irritating your skin by using abrasive cloths or other cleansing tools, relying instead on your fingertips for cleansing.

Each person with rosacea will have specific triggers to avoid, so one of the first things dermatologists recommend is that people with rosacea keep a diary to find out what environments, products, foods, or medications seem to cause a flare-up. Common triggers include sun exposure, emotional stress, heat, wind, alcohol, irritants in skin-care products, medications, and spicy foods. Once you identify the things that can worsen your rosacea, you can avoid or limit your exposure to them to help improve your skin condition.

Continue Learning about Rosacea

What facial foundations are best for people with rosacea?
If you have rosacea, it may be best to use a foundation that is oil free. If possible, apply your fo...
What should I know about erythematotelangiectatic rosacea?
The first thing to know about erythematotelangiectatic rosacea is that it is a very common condition...
What Is Rosacea?
What Is Rosacea?
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?