Is Isotretinoin an effective medication for rosacea?

Yes and no.  Research studies have shown good success treating rosacea with isotretinoin by mouth.  In my personal experience, patients who were treated this way prior to the time that isotretinoin was highly regulated by the FDA had excellent results, but their rosacea did tend to return when the drug was discontinued. 

However, because this drug causes serious birth defects, today there's something called the iPledge Program, which controls who is able to get isotretinoin.  The basic fact is that isotretinoin is for severe cystic acne, not for rosacea.  So unless the patient has severe acne as well as rosacea, a physician is not able to prescribe the drug.

Continue Learning about Rosacea

How should I moisturize my skin if I have rosacea?
Moisturizing is especially important for people with rosacea. Rosacea damages the skin's ability to ...
Why is my rosacea worse in the summer and winter?
Extreme temperatures are a common trigger for rosacea. The hot weather during the summer increases b...
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?
What Cosmetics Are Best for People with Rosacea?