How does root canal prevent tooth loss?

Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics

Once the cavity or crack has reached the pulp of the tooth, root canal therapy will help prevent further progression of the diseased tooth, and help relieve any pain. Once the pulp is infected or there is a crack into the pulp chamber then there are really only two choices, root canal therapy or extraction. Extracting the tooth is a treatment option, but proper root canal therapy can save the tooth for a long time, possibly for life.

Once upon a time, if you had a tooth with a diseased nerve, you'd probably lose that tooth. Today, with a special dental procedure called a root canal therapy you may save that tooth. Inside each tooth is the pulp which provides nutrients and nerves to the tooth, it runs like a thread down through the root. When the pulp is diseased or injured, the pulp tissue dies. If you don't remove it, your tooth gets infected and you could lose it. After the dentist removes the pulp, the root canal is cleaned and sealed off to protect it. Then your dentist places a crown over the tooth to help make it stronger.

Continue Learning about Root Canal Therapy

How long will my tooth last after root canal therapy?
Paul D. Epstein, DMDPaul D. Epstein, DMD
After a root canal the tooth may last your lifetime. It depends on the amount of tooth structure rem...
What symptoms may indicate the need for a root canal?
Nicole HollandNicole Holland
A root canal may also be needed following traumatic injury to a tooth, e.g., fall, sports injury, et...
What may happen before a root canal treatment?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
There are times when you may not be aware that anything has happened since you have no symptoms to m...
When should I call my doctor if I had a root canal treatment?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you've recently had a root canal and are experiencing pain, swelling, bleeding or other problems ...