What are some complications of root canal treated teeth?

Root canal treatments involve exposing the inside of the tooth. Sometimes when a tooth is opened for root canal treatment, bacteria might be triggered to grow and spread because of the oxygen in the air. This can ultimately cause inflammation, pressure, and pain. Antibiotics can be used to manage bacterial infections. A procedure called an apicoectomy may be required if an infection develops or persists after root-canal treatment. This involves surgically removing the end of the root. In some cases a root canal may need to be repeated.

Continue Learning about Root Canal Therapy

How does root canal prevent tooth loss?
Stephen D. Moore, DDSStephen D. Moore, DDS
A root canal will allow the diseased tooth to be saved from extraction! The success rate of root can...
Why do I still have pain weeks after my root canal?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Most of the time, a root canal is a relatively simple procedure with little or no discomfort. If you...
How is a root canal procedure done?
A root canal procedure often involves from one to three visits. During treatment, your general denti...
What are the risks of not getting a root canal?
Lucia Yau, DDSLucia Yau, DDS
If no treatment is done, the infection in the tooth and root can spread to surrounding area of the m...