What are the treatment options for rickets?

Depending on the cause of a child's rickets, treatment options may vary. If a vitamin D deficiency is the cause, increasing vitamin D, calcium, and phosphorus intake through dietary changes or supplements can help improve symptoms relatively quickly. Increased exposure to sunlight may also be suggested. If another disorder is the cause, doctors will work to treat this condition to help the rickets' symptoms.

Continue Learning about Rickets

What are the symptoms of rickets?
Rickets affects a child's bones and teeth. However, the symptoms develop gradually. Children may exp...
How common is rickets?
During the twentieth century, rickets was not very common in developed countries like the United Sta...
Should I talk to my doctor about rickets?
If you suspect that your child might be experiencing any of the symptoms of rickets, you should cons...
How is rickets and vitamin D associated?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
Rickets is a vitamin D deficiency disease that occurs in children. The bones of children with ricket...