How does rickets affect the body?

The two areas of the body most affected by rickets are the bones and the teeth, both of which rely on calcium and phosphorus for healthy growth. As rickets develops, children may experience aches and pains in their spine, legs, or pelvis. The limbs, especially the legs, do not grow properly, which can lead to bowing and stunted growth. Children are more prone to cavities and other dental issues. Weak bones make fractures more likely, too.

Continue Learning about Rickets

How is rickets diagnosed?
Rickets is diagnosed through blood tests, x-rays, and a physical exam. Blood tests that screen for l...
What increases my risk for rickets?
Adult rickets, or osteomalacia, is caused by a lack of vitamin D. Vitamin D regulates the body's use...
What do I need to prepare before seeing a doctor about rickets?
Before seeing your doctor, make a list of the symptoms that you have noticed in you or your child. P...
Does rickets affect children differently than adults?
Because rickets is caused by a vitamin D deficiency that leads to weak bones, it affects children di...