How common is rickets?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

During the twentieth century, rickets was not very common in developed countries like the United States where vitamin D fortified products like breakfast cereals and milk are readily available. However, recently rickets is re-emerging as a problem in these countries. Studies as to why are ongoing. Rickets may be more common among breastfed infants if they are not given the necessary oral supplement of 400 international units a day. Rickets is also more common for those with hypophosphatemic rickets, which is a hereditary condition.

Continue Learning about Rickets

How do medications treat rickets?
Medications are not usually given to treat rickets. The aim of treatment is to replenish vitamin D, ...
What causes rickets?
Rickets is the result of a lack of vitamin D in the body, which leads to a phosphorus and calcium im...
Should I talk to my doctor about rickets?
If you suspect that your child might be experiencing any of the symptoms of rickets, you should cons...
What are the symptoms of rickets?
Rickets affects a child's bones and teeth. However, the symptoms develop gradually. Children may exp...