What do I need to know about caring for someone with rickets?

Caring for someone with rickets involves making certain that they maintain proper levels of vitamin D, calcium, and phosphorus in their body. For an infant, follow the dosing recommendations given to you by your physician. For a child or teenager, provide a diet rich in vitamin D foods and allow for moderate sun exposure.

Continue Learning about Rickets

What causes rickets?
Rickets is the result of a lack of vitamin D in the body, which leads to a phosphorus and calcium im...
Can rickets be prevented?
In most cases, rickets is preventable by maintaining proper levels of vitamin D, calcium, and phosph...
What do I need to prepare before seeing a doctor about rickets?
Before seeing your doctor, make a list of the symptoms that you have noticed in you or your child. P...
Is there a cure for rickets?
Rickets is curable if the underlying cause is resolved quickly and no permanent damage has been done...