Does rickets affect children differently than adults?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Because rickets is caused by a vitamin D deficiency that leads to weak bones, it affects children differently than adults. For infants and children whose bones are still growing, rickets can lead to permanent skeletal and dental deformities, especially if left untreated. In adults, rickets is called osteomalacia, which may lead to weakness in the spine, pelvis, or legs and easily broken bones.

Continue Learning about Rickets

What causes rickets?
Rickets is the result of a lack of vitamin D in the body, which leads to a phosphorus and calcium im...
What do I need to prepare before seeing a doctor about rickets?
Before seeing your doctor, make a list of the symptoms that you have noticed in you or your child. P...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with rickets?
Caring for someone with rickets involves making certain that they maintain proper levels of vitamin ...
What is rickets?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Rickets used to be a fairly common childhood disease due to vitamin D deficiency and lack of sunligh...