How effective is a rhinoplasty?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

Rhinoplasty is very effective for correcting aesthetic and functional problems. First, aesthetic reconstruction can include: narrowing the dorsum by infracturing, raising of the tip, re-positioning of the nasal lobule, and bringing the mid-nasal vault down. Functional reconstruction includes straightening out the septum (septoplasty) and removing the obstructing turbinates (turbinectomy). 

Homayoun Sasson, MD
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
The effectiveness of rhinoplasty largely depends on the following factors:
  • degree of the deformities
  • the person’s genetic background
  • skin type
  • age
  • facial proportions
  • desired and realistic expectations
  • postoperative compliance
  • surgeon’s skills and expertise
  • preparation of the person for an outcome that cannot always and entirely be predicted and guaranteed
In a carefully selected and well-prepared scenario, the combination of proper indications and timing for this procedure, adequate preoperative and postoperative preparation and support and managing realistic expectations combined with good technical skills usually result in a very satisfying and effective outcome. In most cases, it can dramatically improve a person’s face and outlook and self-confidence and help propel him or her towards careers and/or social circumstances which might've been otherwise difficult or impossible to achieve.

Continue Learning about Rhinoplasty Or Nose Job

Should my teenager have a nose job?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Normally rhinoplasty surgery or a nose job should not be performed before age 14-16. It is vital tha...
What are rhinoplasty cartilage grafts?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
Increasingly common in rhinoplasty, grafts are pieces of tissue taken out of the body, altered, ...
How do I know if my expectations of rhinoplasty are realistic?
Jeremy P. Warner, MDJeremy P. Warner, MD
If something about your appearance bothers you, then it is very real to you. It's important to have ...
What is rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty surgery is performed to change the appearance of the nose. Nasal breathing problems may ...