What are the symptoms of rhinitis?

If you have allergic rhinitis, you will feel a constant runny nose, ongoing sneezing, swollen nasal passages, excess mucus, weepy eyes, and a scratchy palate and throat.  Some people with allergic rhinitis feel only a drippy nose; others are so congested that the allergy affects every part of their lives.  You can often tell a child who has allergic rhinitis by the crease on the top of the nose from constant wiping (allergic salute) or dark circles under the eyes (allergic shiners).

Infected ears and fluid in the ears because of blocked eustachian tubes are two common results of rhinitis in both adults and children, although the problems are much more common in children.  Unending fatigue is another problem and is receiving much attention at this time.  Some researchers believe that there is a possible link between allergic rhinitis and chronic fatigue syndrome. Many who have allergic rhinitis also complain of achiness, an unending fatigue, and sleep disturbances that can result when untreated symptoms interfere with restful sleep.

The main symptoms of rhinitis are stuffy and runny nose. Depending on the kind of rhinitis you have, you may also experience sneezing; coughing; itchy nose, eyes, mouth, or throat; watery eyes; sinus pressure; decreased sense of smell or taste; mucus in the throat (post-nasal drip); and nasal discharge. Treatment may help relieve these of your symptoms.

Continue Learning about Rhinitis

Should I talk to my doctor about my rhinitis symptoms?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Rhinitis is the general medical term for disorders of the nose in which an inflammation of the linin...
Is rhinitis serious?
Does rhinitis affect children differently than adults?
Children are generally more prone to rhinitis than adults. Rhinitis is more likely to lead to ear in...
How do I manage my rhinitis on a daily basis?
Since there are different kinds of rhinitis, ways to manage the conditions may vary. Take the prescr...