Should I talk to my doctor about my rhinitis symptoms?

If your rhinitis symptoms are persistent, interfering with your daily life, and unresponsive to over-the-counter medications, you should talk to your doctor. Some people can manage rhinitis with over-the-counter medications and avoidance of rhinitis triggers, but if rhinitis is a constant problem your doctor may help you find more effective ways to treat your condition. You can always contact your doctor with health questions.

Rhinitis is the general medical term for disorders of the nose in which an inflammation of the lining of the nose occurs and symptoms such as runny nose, sneezing, congestion, and drainage result.  To diagnose allergic rhinitis, a nasal examination will be done by your doctor.  The mucous membrane is usually swollen and pale with allergic rhinitis and may even be whitish-blue in color.  The doctor may take a mucus smear to see if it has eosinophils (a type of white blood cells characteristic of allergic diseases).  Other tests may also be helpful in making the diagnosis.          

Continue Learning about Rhinitis

Should I tell my child's school about rhinitis?
It may be beneficial to your child's health and education for you to tell his or her school about rh...
Does rhinitis affect children differently than adults?
Children are generally more prone to rhinitis than adults. Rhinitis is more likely to lead to ear in...
How common is rhinitis?
Rhinitis is a very common condition. Up to three in every ten American adults has recurring rhinitis...
What is rhinitis?
Rhinitis is a condition where the mucous membrane inside your nose is swollen and inflamed, which re...