What is hand and finger Rheumatoid Arthritis?

Rheumatoid Arthritis is an auto-immune mediated systemic inflammatory condition that can damage the nourishing lining and cartilage surfaces of many different joints in the body. The small joints of the hand and wrist are particularly prone to being involved, and can suffer significant pain and/or deformity. The care of the Rheumatoid hand and wrist should be managed cooperatively by a rheumatologist and a hand specialist to minimize pain and optimize functionality.

Hand/Finger Rheumatoid Arthritis is an inflammatory condition that affects the articular surface of the joints in the fingers (Distal interphalangeal joint, Proximal interphalangeal joint, Metacarpal joint) and the radio carpal joint (wrist joint). The condition is a result from the immune system attacking the cartilage within the joint (articular joint surface) and mistaking it as a foreign invader. The articular cartilage is destroyed and erodes away the absorbent material (cartilage)which protects the bone on bone contact against compressive forces with accompanies movement when you flex and extend the fingers and wrist. As a result pain, stiffness and swelling occur during movement and upon awaking from sleep in the morning.

Continue Learning about Rheumatoid Arthritis

Controlled Rheumatoid Arthritis May Not Mean Zero Pain
If your rheumatoid arthritis is under control, you should be pain-free, right? Maybe not. Nearly half of people who are being treated for RA and who h...
What questions should I ask my doctor if I have rheumatoid arthritis (RA)?
Review the following questions to ask about rheumatoid arthritis (RA) so you're prepared to discuss ...
9 Must-Ask Rheumatoid Arthritis Questions
9 Must-Ask Rheumatoid Arthritis Questions9 Must-Ask Rheumatoid Arthritis Questions9 Must-Ask Rheumatoid Arthritis Questions9 Must-Ask Rheumatoid Arthritis Questions
Here's what you need to know about RA.
How Soon Should I Start Treatment for RA?