Can rheumatoid arthritis (RA) cause me to lose my voice?

Johns Hopkins Medicine
Administration

Occasionally, you may experience periods of a hoarse voice or lose your voice altogether due to rheumatoid arthritis (RA). When inflammation occurs in a small joint located in your neck near the vocal cords - called the cricoarytenoid joint -  your voice is affected.

If voice loss or hoarseness persists, you should see your doctor or consult an ear, nose and throat (ENT) specialist to rule out other causes.

Continue Learning about Rheumatoid Arthritis

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Rheumatoid Arthritis

If you have rheumatoid arthritis (or RA), you have painful swelling in hands, fingers, wrists - and stiffness that makes everyday living difficult. RA is an autoimmune disorder in which the body's immune system attacks the tissues...

. RA is more common among women than men. Some have only one brief episode, while others have episodes off and on throughout their lives. It's important to consult with a rheumatologist right away when you develop symptoms, as early treatment can help keep RA under control.