How can a jar opener help protect my hands and finger joints?

Rachel Rohde, MD
Orthopedic Surgery

Our hands are beautiful tools. Unfortunately, sometimes we put too much strain on these tools and end up damaging our tendons or joints. One of the most common problems I see as a hand surgeon is arthritis at the base of the thumb, or "basal joint."  Other joints in the hand can get arthritic and painful as well. Opening jars puts a huge amount of stress on your joints and can lead to painful flares of these joints. Using aids like jar openers can help avoid this; this is called "activity modification," and it will help your hands last a lifetime!

Continue Learning about Rheumatoid Arthritis

How a Blood Test May Help Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a chronic autoimmune disease that causes pain, stiffness and swelling in the joints. While treatments are available to le...
Can rheumatoid arthritis be prevented?
Genetic, environmental and hormonal factors probably all play a role in the development of rheumatoi...
Get to Know Rheumatoid Arthritis
Get to Know Rheumatoid ArthritisGet to Know Rheumatoid ArthritisGet to Know Rheumatoid ArthritisGet to Know Rheumatoid Arthritis
Are Any Alternative Therapies Effective for RA?