Can rheumatoid arthritis be prevented?

Genetic, environmental and hormonal factors probably all play a role in the development of rheumatoid arthritis (RA). However, there is no known way to prevent RA. Cigarette smoking is one environmental risk factor for RA that you can avoid.

Preventing rheumatoid arthritis is, at this time, unlikely, since its cause remains unknown. Some factors increase your risk (like gender, genetic predisposition and being in a higher-risk age group). None of these factors can be avoided or controlled. But one factor that does increase your risk of rheumatoid arthritis, smoking, can be avoided. Stopping smoking (or better yet-never starting) will lower your chances of contracting rheumatoid arthritis.

Continue Learning about Rheumatoid Arthritis

Coping With Emotions When You Have RA
Coping With Emotions When You Have RA
"Getting a diagnosis of RA can arouse a gamut of emotions," says Nathan Wei, MD, director of the Arthritis Treatment Center in Frederick, Maryland: "I...
Can diet or food choices affect rheumatoid arthritis?
Lona SandonLona Sandon
What you choose to eat can help you live better with RA.  As a registered dietitian/nutritionist who...
Get to Know Rheumatoid Arthritis
Get to Know Rheumatoid ArthritisGet to Know Rheumatoid ArthritisGet to Know Rheumatoid ArthritisGet to Know Rheumatoid Arthritis
What Else Can I Do to Manage My Psoriatic Arthritis?