What home assistive devices can help someone with hand RA?

Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
Emergency Room Nursing

With RA, you want to use the impacted joints, but not overuse them. At home, using larger diameter tools (silverware, glasses, and kitchen utensils) and those with a soft grip feature (can or glass insulator) can provide you with a larger surface that is softer for you to grab.

Some of the reaching tools may also be of assistance. Check with your health care provider and insurance to determine if one visit with an occupational therapist may be of benefit to you in your quest to remain independent. 

Continue Learning about Rheumatoid Arthritis

What Types of Rheumatoid Arthritis Pain Should I Report to My Doctor?
Can A Gluten-Free Diet Help Ease Rheumatoid Arthritis Symptoms?
Are Supplements for Rheumatoid Arthritis Safe?
If Rheumatoid Arthritis Treatment is Working, How Should I Feel?