Can joint replacement surgery for RA be done on the fingers?

Noel Henley, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Yes.

The most common and beneficial joints that can be replaced are the metacarpophalangeal (MCP) joint and the proximal interphalangeal (PIP) joint.

The MCP is the large joint at the base of the finger; most people refer to this as their "knuckle". The PIP joint is in the middle of the finger. Rings are worn between the PIP and MCP joints of the finger.

Joint replacements for RA are usually made of silicone, but some surgeons are using metal and plastic joints as well.

Continue Learning about Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Treatment

9 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Your Moderate to Severe RA Treatment
To better understand your treatment plan, what to expect and how to follow it, ask your doctor: Is my current treatment doing a good job of control...
Why does my doctor want to use aggressive Rheumatoid Arthritis treatment?
Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
Rheumatoid Arthritis will attack the joint and cause damage to the joints. The goal of treatment is ...
What are the treatment goals for rheumatoid arthritis (RA)?
The overall goal of treating rheumatoid arthritis is to halt or at least quiet and slow the dise...
What Are the Common Side Effects of Rheumatoid Arthritis Drugs?