Should I ask my doctor about complementary care for RA?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD

You definitely should talk to your doctor about complementary care for RA. There are some very good conventional treatments, and there are very good complementary therapies that do just that, they complement regular therapy.  For starters the Mediterranean diet is a healthy diet that is also an anti-inflammatory diet that can help patients with RA.  Exercise is also very important. 

Fish oil also has strong anti-inflammatory properties. In addition there are some herbal remedies that contain anti-inflammatory spices such as turmeric and ginger that have been noted to be helpful. Zyflamend is a supplement that contains these spices among others and is something I commonly recommend to my arthritis patients.

Therapies such as acupuncture, massage, meditation, yoga and tai chi can help with pain, flexibility and strength.  It is important that no matter what alternatives you choose that you do it in partnership with your primary care physcian.

Continue Learning about Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Treatment

Rheumatoid Arthritis Tests and Exams
Rheumatoid Arthritis Tests and Exams
It's important to understand which tests you need and what the results mean for your condition. Ask your doctor these questions about exams and tests ...
How do chemical DMARDs work to treat rheumatoid arthritis?
Treatment for rheumatoid arthritis usually begins with the chemical disease-modifying antirheumatic ...
What are the side effects of taking steroids for RA?
In the short term, steroids may cause weight gain, fluid retention, irregular periods, acne, excess...
What Are the Side Effects of DMARDs Used in RA?