Can I become addicted to narcotic pain relievers for RA?

If you are treated with narcotics for pain from rheumatoid arthritis (RA) you can certainly become addicted to them the same way you can as with other indications for narcotics. It's important to remember, however, that addiction refers not only to your body needing the drug (dependence) but also the negative behaviors associated with striving to get more and more of the drug. If you are using the narcotic medication as prescribed by your physician, over time you will most likely become dependent, but you will not necessarily become addicted.

Continue Learning about Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Treatment

5 Ways to Reduce RA Swelling and Stiffness
Two of the most common symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) are stiffness and swelling in the joints. If you have RA, these symptoms may be worse at ...
Can My Rheumatoid Arthritis Go into Remission?
Are There Long Term Side Effects from RA Medications?
What Are the Side Effects of DMARDs Used in RA?