Can I become addicted to narcotic pain relievers for RA?

If you are treated with narcotics for pain from rheumatoid arthritis (RA) you can certainly become addicted to them the same way you can as with other indications for narcotics. It's important to remember, however, that addiction refers not only to your body needing the drug (dependence) but also the negative behaviors associated with striving to get more and more of the drug. If you are using the narcotic medication as prescribed by your physician, over time you will most likely become dependent, but you will not necessarily become addicted.

Continue Learning about Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Treatment

5 Ways to Reduce RA Swelling and Stiffness
Two of the most common symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) are stiffness and swelling in the joints. If you have RA, these symptoms may be worse at ...
Why does my doctor want to use aggressive Rheumatoid Arthritis treatment?
Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
Rheumatoid Arthritis will attack the joint and cause damage to the joints. The goal of treatment is ...
Are methatrexate shot or pills better to cure rheumatoid arthritis?
MediGuardMediGuard
Methotrexate injection is not as convenient to take when compared to an oral pill. The injection req...
Can Exercise Help Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)?