What do the blood tests for rheumatoid arthritis reveal?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

In diagnosing rheumatoid arthritis, your doctor may order some blood tests to confirm what is discovered during the physical exam. There are several different tests that the doctor may choose from:

• ESR-erythrocyte sedimentation rate. This shows that there is inflammation somewhere in the body. It may mean rheumatoid arthritis.
  • C-reactive protein levels. Also may show inflammation.
  • Rheumatoid factor. This is an antibody that the body produces in response to rheumatoid arthritis or other diseases.
  • Anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide (anti-CCP) antibodies. Testing for these antibodies may be the most accurate test available for rheumatoid arthritis, since people without rheumatoid arthritis almost never have these antibodies.

Continue Learning about Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Diagnosis

How Soon Should I Start Treatment for RA?
Who Is at Higher Risk for Rheumatoid Arthritis?