Who should not take Avage (tazarotene)?

Avage (tazarotene) should not be taken by women who are pregnant, as it could cause birth defects in the fetus.

It is not known whether this medication is passed into breast milk. If you are breastfeeding, discuss the possible risks with your doctor before taking this medication. Avage should also not be used by someone who has a sunburn or eczema. You should wait until you are fully healed before using this medication. You should not use Avage if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.

Continue Learning about Retinoids

What is topical tazarotene?
Topical tazarotene (Tazorac) is a prescription drug that is applied directly to the skin. It is a re...
How can retinoids help improve my skin?
Retinoids are the only proven wrinkle reducer on the market. Retinoids can do amazing things, ac...
Should I use topical retinoids for acne if I am pregnant?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
There are questions about using topical retinoids during pregnancy. There are natural levels of ...
What should I know before using topical tazarotene?
If you are breastfeeding topical tazarotene may not be a good option for you. It is not known if thi...