What should I know about retinol before taking it?

Retinol is a form of vitamin A found in animal products, such as dairy, liver, kidneys, and eggs.

It is necessary for a healthy diet and helps in the function of your vision, skin, cellular growth, and immune system. It has also been shown to be beneficial in the treatment of several different conditions.

Never take more than your daily allowance of retinol and vitamin A, as it is possible to overdose on it.

Also, you should not take vitamin A if you are pregnant. Some vitamin A and retinol is necessary during pregnancy, but too much can cause severe birth defects. Talk to your doctor about proper amounts of retinol and vitamin A during pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Retinoids

Can retinoids make my skin look younger?
Vitamin A derivatives, called retinoids, have one of the best track records for reversing many signs...
What are retinoids?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
The term retinoid includes both naturally occurring and synthetic products that classically were...
What are retinoids and what role do they play in the skin?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
The retinoids, which are derivatives of vitamin A, are good examples of cell receptor activators...
What is topical tazarotene?
Topical tazarotene (Tazorac) is a prescription drug that is applied directly to the skin. It is a re...