What is the maximum daily dosage for retinol?

The recommended daily dosage for retinol and vitamin A increases with age. Retinol should make up 35 to 50 percent of your daily vitamin A dosage.

Children up to 8 years of age should receive 300 micrograms (mcg) to 400 mcg of retinol per day.

Children aged 9 to 13 years old should get about 600 mcg a day.

Individuals who are not pregnant and between 14 and 18 years of age should receive approximately 1,200 mcg of retinol per day.

For individuals older than 18 years of age, daily dosage recommendations are 900 mcg of retinol for men and 700 mcg of retinol for women. These allowances change depending on if the person is pregnant, has a vitamin A deficiency, or is breastfeeding.

Continue Learning about Retinoids

When should I start to use retinols or retinoids?
Most of my patients who start using retinols for anti-aging effects begin in their thirties or later...
What should I know before using topical tazarotene?
If you are breastfeeding topical tazarotene may not be a good option for you. It is not known if thi...
What are retinoids and what role do they play in the skin?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
The retinoids, which are derivatives of vitamin A, are good examples of cell receptor activators...
How do retinoids help treat psoriasis?
Topical retinoids can be used to treat psoriasis. These are prescription vitamin A-like gels and...