What should I know before using topical tazarotene?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

If you are breastfeeding topical tazarotene may not be a good option for you. It is not known if this drug can be passed into breast milk.

If you have eczema, you should not use topical tazarotene.

If you are pregnant, may be pregnant, or planning to become pregnant, you should not use topical tazarotene.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Retinoids

What is topical tazarotene?
Topical tazarotene (Tazorac) is a prescription drug that is applied directly to the skin. It is a re...
What are retinoids?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
The term retinoid includes both naturally occurring and synthetic products that classically were...
How can retinoids help improve my skin?
Retinoids are the only proven wrinkle reducer on the market. Retinoids can do amazing things, ac...
What are retinoids and what role do they play in the skin?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
The retinoids, which are derivatives of vitamin A, are good examples of cell receptor activators...