What is tretinoin topical?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
Tretinoin (Retin-A) is one of the most useful drugs for the skin. Without vitamin A, the skin becomes dry and the hair and nails become brittle. Vitamin A and tretinoin act on deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA). Tretinoin lessens fine wrinkles, decreases brown pigmentation, diminishes acne and visible pore size, increases collagen and elastin and hyaluronic acid, and hydrates the skin. In addition, it can decrease premalignant lesions and even prevent skin cancer. Blood flow to the skin increases. The immune system is enhanced. The skin becomes firmer and more elastic. Healing is faster. Dark circles around the eyes lessen. Tretinoin is a first-line drug for acne, rosacea, and seborrheic dermatitis -- almost a wonder drug!
Straight Talk about Cosmetic Surgery (Yale University Press Health & Wellness)

The public’s recent exuberance toward cosmetic surgery has spurred an unprecedented demand for appearance-changing procedures. But how can an average consumer discern the hype from solid truth? ...
Prescription tretinoin is the only topical agent approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to reduce the appearance of fine lines, age spots, uneven pigmentation, and other signs of photoaging. It also helps treat acne.

Tretinoin is a derivative of vitamin A. It promotes the formation of healthy new skin in the dermis, revealing smoother, less blemished, more even-looking skin. It also lightens skin, thereby reducing the appearance of age spots and uneven skin pigmentation. Trade names of tretinoin include:
  • Retin-A
  • Retin-A MICRO
  • Renova
  • Avita

Similar medications containing active ingredients that also are derived from vitamin A include Tazorac and Differin.

These prescription creams come with benefits and risks that should be discussed with a healthcare provider. Some potential side effects of tretinoin treatment include redness, irritation, and increased sun sensitivity.

Tretinoin topical cream or gel is a form of vitamin A used to treat acne, as well as to reduce the appearance of facial wrinkles and skin discoloration or variation. It is a generic prescription medication also available under several brand names.

Continue Learning about Retinoids

When should I start to use retinols or retinoids?
Most of my patients who start using retinols for anti-aging effects begin in their thirties or later...
How can retinoids help improve my skin?
Retinoids are the only proven wrinkle reducer on the market. Retinoids can do amazing things, ac...
When should I begin using a retinoid to treat signs of aging?
Because retinoids can be used for treating skin conditions, such as acne, it’s not uncommon to presc...
What should I know before using topical tazarotene?
If you are breastfeeding topical tazarotene may not be a good option for you. It is not known if thi...