What is topical tazarotene?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Topical tazarotene (Tazorac) is a prescription drug that is applied directly to the skin. It is a retinoid, a drug derived from vitamin A. It is mainly used to reduce scaling and plaque thickness, and can also be used for nail psoriasis. It is not as effective as topical corticosteroids or topical vitamin D, and is not usually a first choice for psoriasis treatment. It is more effective when used along with a topical corticosteroid or ultraviolet light therapy. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Retinoids

What are retinoids?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
The term retinoid includes both naturally occurring and synthetic products that classically were...
When should I begin using a retinoid to treat signs of aging?
Because retinoids can be used for treating skin conditions, such as acne, it’s not uncommon to presc...
Should I use topical retinoids for acne if I am pregnant?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
There are questions about using topical retinoids during pregnancy. There are natural levels of ...
Can retinoids make my skin look younger?
Vitamin A derivatives, called retinoids, have one of the best track records for reversing many signs...