What should I avoid while using topical retinol?

While using topical retinol, you should avoid:

• using more than one topical retinol/Vitamin A skin treatment at once, as too much retinol or vitamin A can result in vitamin A toxicity and serious side effects
  • overuse of the product, which can cause dry and flaky skin, known as the "retinoid effect" (Starting topical retinol treatment every other night versus every night can give your skin the chance to adjust to vitamin A and help reduce this problem.)
  • excessive sun exposure, as topical retinol can cause sun sensitivity (Be sure to use sunscreen while using topical retinol.)

Continue Learning about Retinoids

Can retinoids make my skin look younger?
Vitamin A derivatives, called retinoids, have one of the best track records for reversing many signs...
What is topical tazarotene?
Topical tazarotene (Tazorac) is a prescription drug that is applied directly to the skin. It is a re...
What are retinoids and what role do they play in the skin?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
The retinoids, which are derivatives of vitamin A, are good examples of cell receptor activators...
When should I begin using a retinoid to treat signs of aging?
Because retinoids can be used for treating skin conditions, such as acne, it’s not uncommon to presc...