What should I know about alitretinoin before using it?

Some medical conditions may make it too dangerous for you to use alitretinoin. Talk to your doctor about any medical conditions you have or have had. People with lymphoma may not be able to use alitretinoin. It can cause harm to a developing fetus. Do not use alitretinoin if you are pregnant. Talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits of using alitretinoin while breastfeeding. You should also discuss all medications that you are taking, including prescriptions, over-the-counter medications and supplements, with your doctor before taking alitretinoin. Some medications, including tranexamic acid, may interact with alitretinoin. There are some precautions you must follow while using alitretinoin. After applying the medication, you cannot bathe or swim for at least three hours. You may use mineral oil to help with dryness from alitretinoin, but you cannot use it within two hours of applying alitretinoin. Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, you should not wear bandages while using alitretinoin. This medication makes you more sensitive to sunlight and sunburns, so take extra sun precautions while using alitretinoin.

Continue Learning about Retinoids

What should I know about tretinoin topical before using it?
When you are using topical tretinoin creams or gels, you should know what to avoid in order to preve...
When should I start to use retinols or retinoids?
Most of my patients who start using retinols for anti-aging effects begin in their thirties or later...
What are retinoids and what role do they play in the skin?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
The retinoids, which are derivatives of vitamin A, are good examples of cell receptor activators...
What should I know before using topical tazarotene?
If you are breastfeeding topical tazarotene may not be a good option for you. It is not known if thi...