How soon after starting topical retinol treatment will my symptoms improve?

The rate at which you see results from topical retinol varies from person to person. In general, skin becomes clearer and more supple within a few days. Ask your doctor for an expected time frame for results on your skin.

You may notice flaky, dry skin (known as the "retinoid effect") when you first begin using topical retinol. This will pass as your skin adjusts to the vitamin A in the medication. To avoid flaky skin, it is best to begin topical retinol treatment every other night and work up to every night.

Continue Learning about Retinoids