How should I use topical retinol?

Be sure to closely follow your doctor's instructions for use and dosage of topical retinol. Topical retinol is generally applied one to two times daily on clean dry skin. It is available for use in a variety of different forms, including creams, lotions, serums, and oils. While using topical retinol, you may at first experience dry, flaky skin known as the "retinoid effect." This should subside over time, but it is best to begin topical retinol treatment every other night and work up to every night. Topical retinol can cause sensitivity to the sunlight; try to limit your sun exposure or use sunscreen along with  topical retinol.

Continue Learning about Retinoids

What are retinoids?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
The term retinoid includes both naturally occurring and synthetic products that classically were...
What should I know before using topical tazarotene?
If you are breastfeeding topical tazarotene may not be a good option for you. It is not known if thi...
What should I know about tretinoin topical before using it?
When you are using topical tretinoin creams or gels, you should know what to avoid in order to preve...
Should I use topical retinoids for acne if I am pregnant?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
There are questions about using topical retinoids during pregnancy. There are natural levels of ...