Does retinol treat malaria?

Retinol and vitamin A have been shown in a limited number of cases to reduce parasite blood levels, fever, and death in individuals with malaria. However, retinol and vitamin A are not proven to do a better job at it than other well-known drugs and preventive solutions.

If you are traveling or living in an area at risk for malaria, talk to your doctor about how you can limit your risks by using retinol or vitamin A.

Continue Learning about Retinoids

What should I know before using topical tazarotene?
If you are breastfeeding topical tazarotene may not be a good option for you. It is not known if thi...
What should I know about tretinoin topical before using it?
When you are using topical tretinoin creams or gels, you should know what to avoid in order to preve...
What are retinoids?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
The term retinoid includes both naturally occurring and synthetic products that classically were...
How can retinoids help improve my skin?
Retinoids are the only proven wrinkle reducer on the market. Retinoids can do amazing things, ac...